Emily Maxwell

New Web Server 

Hello, world!

I know, it's been a while since I've posted. I'm sorry, stuff is crazy.

Work on the replacement to CUE, now called Peripheral FX, or PeriFX for short, is still underway. I've made great headway, actually, and am hoping to have a preview build out early in the new year!

I've moved to a new web host, which will serve to save me some money. With this move, I've also dumped the idea of hosting my own email server. It's a huge pain in the arse and breaks every time someone on the planet sneezes. I'll update the link in the footer to reflect the new email address.

I typically like to write a personal reply to anyone that sends me a donation. I've been having a hard time with my previous email server, and I think I missed a few. To anyone that sent me a donation, thank you so much! You've really helped ease the burden!

Once again, thank you all for your patience and your support. We're getting close!


Okay, so a lot of people have been wondering how things are looking. Keep in mind we're still talking pre-alpha, here, but I wanted to show a few images of the work in progress. There will be several images on this page, so instead of posting it on my main blog, I've posted it on a separate page. You can access the page by clicking on the title of this post, or by clicking here.

There's still loads left for me to do, but I'm slowly going to be getting back into it. I'll be getting my new car - to replace the totalled one - later this week, and we're moving Saturday! Once we're settled in, I'm sure I can sit down and code some more.

As always, I'd like to extend a huge thank you to everyone that has been supportive through these difficult times, and an extra thank you to anyone who has sent me a donation! It helps me out a lot!

I've had a crash 

We were stopped on the highway in traffic, and the 21-year-old driving a fully-loaded dump truck behind us decided that his phone was more important than paying attention on the road. He slammed into us and thoroughly destroyed my car, but thankfully we weren't seriously injured. I'm so happy we bought a strong car, but I'm devastated that it's been destroyed. It was my dream car (a Mitsubishi Lancer), and now they don't even make them any more.

As many of you know, we're about three weeks away from closing the deal on our first house. Now we have a totalled car in the mix, and likely thousands of dollars out of pocket because insurance sucks. I will not have time to work on the replacement for CEE for the next few weeks. There is simply too much to do, and I'm probably going to have to do several 60-hour workweeks to make up the extra money, so that we don't default on our first payment for our house.

I'm sorry, guys. Pulling my life together is my top priority, now. It's going to be a rough couple of months.

Stay safe out there.

Slowing Down for a Bit 

Hey world.

As you know, I'm still super dedicated to getting the replacement to CEE out there. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to slow down development over the next couple of weeks. There are some very serious family matters I need to attend to, coupled with a business trip to the 'States next week.

I will do my best to continue development when I get a chance, but I wholly expect that these next couple of weeks are going to be exceedingly difficult for me, and I won't be in the right mindset to be coding.

As always, thank you everyone for your support. I'll be sure to drop another entry here soon.

Coming along! 

This is just a small update to let everyone know that work is still going strong on the replacement for CEE! I had some setbacks, had to refactor some things because of interactions I wasn't expecting. You know, all those traps we set for ourselves!

Anyway, you can continue to stay up to date on my work for the initial release here. Basic effects like rainbow, spiral, and solid colour are done, and all peripherals (other than headsets) are now supported. I've also rebuilt the Windows Accent Colour bits so that they listen to Windows messages and update with Windows, instead of checking a registry key every X seconds. My next task is to start building the new Spectro effects. This is probably the biggest hurdle I have to overcome in the initial release, so I might go quiet while I'm working on it.

A great feature that's been implemented in the rework is the ability to view effects live in the software. This makes editing layers a lot easier! CPU usage when effect viewing is off usually sits at 0.1% to 0.4% for me, with a mouse, keyboard, and mousepad. With effect viewing enabled, it sits around 2%. Clearly, I've spent way more time optimizing everything than I expected!

Another fun little snippet for those that wanted themes so much in CEE: I have built a fully integrated Theme Editor in this new software, with the ability to change the colours of everything in the program, and to save and load themes.

That's about it for now! Back to programming. :)